Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Communications
Status: Full-time, exempt
This is a new position within Sonoma Land Trust, one of the nation’s leading land trusts. Sonoma Land Trust is a nonprofit, non-governmental land conservation organization founded in 1976 with an office in Santa Rosa and a current staff of 22 people. Our mission is to protect the scenic, natural, cultural, agricultural and open landscapes of Sonoma County for the benefit of present and future generations. Sonoma Land Trust enjoys a robust and growing Communications program.
This position focuses on building Sonoma Land Trust’s online presence via the website, social media, eNewsletter and other online communications, along with supporting publication production, media relations and community outreach under the direction of the Director of Communications. The Communications Coordinator will be a tech-savvy PR specialist with topnotch writing skills; she or he will work closely with the Director of Communications in implementing and guiding Sonoma Land Trust’s overall communications strategy and supporting departmental communications programs to enhance SLT’s visibility and brand among target audiences. The ability to work collegially with staff, contractors, vendors, volunteers, board members, partners, general public, media and other relevant audiences is crucial. This position will also collaborate with others in the organization to achieve brand and style consistency, promotion of a positive image, coordination of messages, and the highest standards for external communications.
Under the direction of the Director of Communications:
- Coordinate the organization’s online communications, including website, social media, eNewsletter and other online outreach.
- Develop and deliver content via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, blogs, email and other online communications.
- Keep website up to date and compelling.
- Assist with the production of press releases, newsletter articles, brochures, ads, other communications materials and special events.
- Assist with publicizing the work of Sonoma Land Trust through the media.
- Coordinate photo and video shoots.
- Proof and copyedit communications materials.
- Develop organizational style guide.
- Serve as primary coordinator of assigned sections of the Visual Library.
- Assist with advertising placement in local newspapers, magazines and online outlets, and with conceptualizing promotional content for ads.
- Assist other departments, Development in particular, with communications needs.
- Create displays and table at community events.
- Provide logos and photographs to internal and external requestors.
- Develop and maintain news clipping archives and department reports, and keep relevant spreadsheets up to date with communications activities.
- Solicit and secure speaking engagements and participation at key community events, to include logistical support.
- Serve as point person for general inquiries.
- Participate as necessary as communications liaison on SLT hikes.
Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a Liberal Arts field.
- At least 2–4 years demonstrated experience in public relations, writing and media relations.
- Exceptionally strong writing talent and skills.
- Strong verbal skills.
- Ability to generate, share and follow through on ideas.
- High degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to provide stellar customer service.
- Ability to work well with others in a collaborative and professional environment.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated social media experience, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linked In and YouTube.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Outlook required; strong working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint, and familiarity with Photoshop and InDesign (or similar program) preferred. Experience working with a donor database system, HTML, Google AdWords, web analytics and website content management systems a plus.
- Ability to use good judgment, set priorities, work independently and adjust work habits to accommodate deadlines.
- A demonstrated passion for conservation.
- An insured vehicle that can be used on SLT business to travel to meetings, local vendors, etc.
- Ability to lift items up to 20 pounds and to hike on uneven ground.
- The ability to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends and evenings.
Schedule, Salary & Benefits:
This is a regular 40-hour-a-week position. Sonoma Land Trust offers competitive salaries and benefits, including a retirement plan and health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance. Salary for this position is contingent upon experience and qualifications.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples via email or mail to either email@example.com or
Director of Communications
Sonoma Land Trust
822 Fifth St.
Santa Rosa, CA 95404
Please: No phone calls or drop-ins.
Deadline for applications is April 3, 2015. Applications will be acknowledged by email within one week of receipt.