We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
THE POSITION: OUTINGS ASSISTANT—20 HRS/WEEK
LOCATION: SANTA ROSA, CALIFORNIA
AVAILABILITY: JANUARY 2013
SONOMA LAND TRUST IS LOOKING FOR AN ENTHUSIASTIC OUTINGS ASSISTANT WITH OUTDOOR LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE, EVENT ORGANIZATION SKILLS, AND A METICULOUS ATTENTION TO DETAILS.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Sonoma Land Trust (www.sonomalandtrust.org) is an accredited, nonprofit land trust with a staff of over 20 and an annual operating budget of $4 million. It works to keep the beautiful and varied rural landscapes of Sonoma Land Trust intact for future generations. Sonoma Land Trust currently holds a number of historic ranches and other preserves and properties together with over 40 conservation easements throughout Sonoma County. To date, Sonoma Land Trust has protected over 45,000 acres. The organization makes extensive use of volunteers and works in partnership with the Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District and other public agencies and nonprofit organizations to accomplish its mission.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
Sonoma Land Trust’s On the Land program serves as a way to get people out onto the lands we have worked to protect. We offer a wide range of outings designed to increase people’s awareness and experience of the natural world. From volunteer ecological restoration days to hikes with botanists and ornithologists, our outings engage a wide audience of people with diverse interests.
The Outings Assistant works with the Outings Manager to run the On the Land Program activities on preserves and conservation easements in Sonoma County. Key areas of work include event organization, volunteer coordination, outdoor leadership, program development, and metrics tracking. Primary tasks include field support for public hikes and volunteer workdays, administrative tasks associated with event organization, and spreadsheet and database entry.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Represent Sonoma Land Trust to the public.
- Lead, coordinate, and support field activities for public and member outings.
- Coordinate volunteers and assist with volunteer workday activities.
- Prepare hike and workday supplies.
- Assist with administrative pre-event tasks, such as creating online registration pages, updating internal calendars, and proofreading website updates.
- Assist with administrative post-event tasks, such as post-event communications, tracking, surveys, and filing.
- Record information in E-tapestry database.
- Support diverse Sonoma Land Trust programs and events as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in conservation, environmental science, environmental education, or similar focus.
- Outgoing personality and ability to take charge of a group.
- Experience as a hike/volunteer leader and naturalist.
- Familiarity with Sonoma County ecosystems and ecological restoration principles.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact productively as part of a team.
- Close attention to detail, accuracy, and excellent organizational skills.
- Proficiency with computer operations; in particular Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint in a Windows environment, web-based software, and experience with database software.
- Must be able to hike up to 6 miles per day over steep and rugged terrain, and be able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to work weekends and occasional evenings.
- Wilderness 1st Aid/CPR certification (or willingness to certify.)
- Must have a vehicle to use for Sonoma Land Trust business, a valid driver’s license, and personal auto insurance.
- Experience and/or willingness to learn to drive a large 4x4 truck.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus!
Sonoma Land Trust offers competitive salaries and benefits. The salary for this 20 hour a week position will be based on the selected candidate’s experience and the salary structure of the organization. This position is non-exempt.
TO APPLY: Please e-mail (1) a letter introducing yourself and (2) a copy of your resume to email@example.com. Please: no phone calls, drop-ins or paper.
We will acknowledge by email receipt of each application within a week of receipt. We plan to hire for the position by February 1.